Indulge your desire to explore at our hands-on science centres in Edmonton and Calgary. Investigate new ways of thinking about the natural world, and the universe around us. Whether you are young or young at heart, learning for the first time or a devoted life-long learner, these are special places in Alberta where you can dive right in.
Here’s a sampling of what to expect in each centre.
TELUS Spark, Calgary
Spark. A flash of inspiration. A sudden burst of curiosity that starts a quest for greater knowledge. The first new science centre in Canada in 25 years will definitely light your fire. Discover the interconnections of science, technology and art in over 100 exhibits, programs and demonstrations across four galleries.
- Investigate the expanded and enhanced Creative Kids Museum and four-acre Outdoor Park.
- Get ready for an eye popping HD Digital Dome Theatre encounter where you will be flung into the depths of outer space or drawn down to the depths of the oceans. In the heart of the theatre is the Digital Media Studio where all ages can experiment with the latest in digital visualization and production technology.
- Explore what it means to be human in the Being Human Gallery. Discover how your brain reacts to falling in love. Learn how your fingers react to stress. Find out if you are right-eyed or left-eyed!
- In the Earth & Sky Gallery make a snowstorm, bottle the colour of the sky, or create your own constellations.
TELUS World of Science, Edmonton
The science centre in Edmonton offers interactive programs, events and exhibits that are positively inspirational. Recently, their Sounds of Science demonstration took home first prize, winning the Golden Brain Trophy on Discovery Channel’s Science Centre Showdown. The centre also boasts the largest planetarium in Canada and a piece of meteorite believed to be over 4.6 billion years old.
- The whole family will love the Space Gallery. Find out what you would look like as an alien. Stroll through the space station for an out-of-this-world experience.
- Enter the Forensics Gallery and you’ll feel like you’re in a real crime lab. Collect clues at the scene of the crime just like a CSI and use the tools in the crime lab to figure out who dunnit!
- The new Discoveryland Gallery is the perfect playground for children – from babies up to 8 years of age. Set your toddlers off to Tot Galaxy designed for ages 0-2 and caretakers, where exhibits focus on cognitive and sensory experiences. Preschoolers will love the Cloud Burst Discovery Water-Play Area where they can engage in a playful exploration of the properties of water.
- Visit the Observatory and use the telescopes to see the sun, moon, starts and planets.
- See what’s playing at the IMAX theatre. Immerse yourself in the lush forests of Borneo or see real world disaster and emergency response teams in action.
- Watch for travelling exhibits like Star Wars Identities and Robots.
There’s so much more to do in both places, you’ll have to visit more than once. Make it a family affair. In Edmonton, buy an Attractions Pass – the science centre is included.