trip essentials

Guide to alberta

Welcome to your guide to an Alberta adventure! Alberta is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful places on earth. And it is as vast as it is varied in landscape and seasonal activities.

Camping is available throughout the province in private campgrounds and resorts, national parks and provincial parks. Reservations can be made at private campgrounds and at certain parks. For more information and reservation options visit our camping page, check out the Alberta Campground Guide, call Travel Alberta at 1-800-ALBERTA (252-3782), or stop in at a visitor information centre.


Hostels vary from basic (bed, kitchen facilities) to superior standards (family rooms, laundry facilities, licensed café, showers, sauna). Alberta offers 15 hostels in Banff, Jasper (along the Icefields Parkway), Kananaskis Country, David Thompson Country, Calgary and Edmonton. For more details, visit or contact Central Reservations at 1-866-762-4122.


Revolvers, pistols, fully automatic firearms and other weapons and self-defence sprays (e.g. mace, pepper spray) are prohibited entry into Canada. All firearms (e.g. hunting rifles, shotguns) must be declared. To obtain information on firearms legislation, please call the Canadian Firearms Centre inquiry line at 1-800-731-4000.


Alberta health-care plan does not cover out-of-province visitors. Clarify your coverage with your personal insurance carrier before entering Alberta as you may wish to obtain additional health insurance before coming to Alberta. Contact your local travel agent for further details.


Fishing licences outside the national parks can be purchased from select sporting good stores, convenience stores and some gas stations. For details, call: 1-888-944-5494.

Hunting regulations and special licensing requirements vary depending on the type of hunting. Hunting is absolutely prohibited in the national parks. For information for anglers and hunters, visit


Park passes are required for entry into any national park in Canada — and Alberta has five. You can buy a day pass at a park gate but if you’re intending to spend time in many of our parks consider an annual Parks Canada Discovery Pass that’s good for one year from the date of purchase. This pass provides unlimited opportunities to visit national parks, marine conservation areas and historic sites across Canada. Passes are not required for entering Alberta provincial parks or recreation areas. For more information visit

Most of the nuts and bolts that go into planning a vacation are on the previous page, Travel Essentials. Prefer to call? Dial 1-800-ALBERTA (252-3782), only in North America.


The diversity in Alberta calls for shrewd packing. If you’re heading to the Rockies for any sort of outdoor adventure, dress in layers. Apart from a handful of very formal urban restaurants most dining establishments in Alberta welcome casual attire. Always bring sunglasses and a hat to provide protection from strong sunlight


Visitors to Canada require a valid passport. For information visit Canadian Border Services Agency. Please contact the nearest  Canadian Consulate or Embassy for more information on travel visas.


For more details on border crossings with a pet, contact Canadian Border Services Agency: Within Canada, call 1-800-461-9999 Outside Canada, call 1-204-983-3500 or 1-506-636-5064 or visit


Seat belt use is mandatory for all drivers and passengers in Canada. The Distracted Driving Law is in effect which prohibits drivers from talking, texting or emailing on a hand-held communication devices, using other electronic devices, reading, writing or personal grooming while behind the wheel. Alberta Office of Traffic Safety, Alberta Transportation

  • Share on Facebook
  • Tweet This
  • Send to Tumblr
  • Visit us on YouTube
  • Visit us on Instagram